VP, National Accelerator
About the Company
Wavefront is Canada’s leader in transforming business through mobile and IoT innovation. We are a centre for commercialization for companies in the wireless and IoT technologies space and our vision is to build a globally relevant, nationally connected ecosystem that delivers digital capacity, competitiveness, and prosperity for Canadians.
Founded 10 years ago, Wavefront has helped accelerate the growth of 500 wireless enabled companies. We deliver our programs and services across Canada through satellite offices and partnerships. We have helped over 200 companies expand into global markets and assisted our clients in securing over $100 million in follow on investment. We work with companies at all stages of their life-cycle and across multiple industry sectors to help launch new business models, change organizational processes, or enhance their customers’ experiences. Our expertise, resources and connections to partnership opportunities and global markets enable companies to accelerate their commercial impact. Wavefront has generated net economic gains for Canada, contributing to all levels of government through tax revenues and job creation.
To achieve and surpass the Wavefront goals of $400M in GDP, 6000 jobs, 200 new companies and $4.0M in annual revenues by March 31, 2021, by leading the expansion and development of Canada’s national mobile and IoT ecosystem, delivering programs and services that measurably accelerate wireless innovation and growth across Canada.
- Direct oversight of Executives-in-Residence, program operations and client services
- Management and collaboration with internal shared service delivery resources including market linkages, advisory services (IRAP programs), and marketing, engineering, operations, business development, government relations and professional services staff.
- External partners and third party resources as required to execute programs.
- Program partners – corporate, government and academic sector collaborators, funders, outsourced providers, and other stakeholders in accelerator programs.
- Industry partners who sponsor and support Accelerator programs and services.
- Wavefront leadership team colleagues.
- Board members.
- Government agencies: local, provincial, and national.
Reporting to, and partnering with, the CEO the VP National Accelerator will drive the growth and traction of Wavefront’s national Accelerator program, by bringing creative enhancements and continued delivery of programs designed to accelerate mobile and IoT venture growth and development across Canada. This is inclusive of provincial, national, and vertically focused programs. She or he will ensure that the people, processes, programs, and tools currently in place excel at delivering on the Wavefront mandate; and that there is measurement, follow-up, and continuous improvement of performance against the mandated KPI’s. She or he will partner with the CEO to identify and secure new and renewed funding to finance operations; collaborate with partners to execute programs; and be accountable for achieving the milestones, KPI’s and deliverables as committed in funding agreements.
- Program development and execution: build on Wavefront’s five areas of focus to refine the accelerator offering while identifying and implementing appropriate delivery methodologies to reach target SME’s in each market across Canada. Manage the delivery, quality control and continuous improvement of all programs, including acquiring and managing the resources required to execute cost effectively. Manage the measurement and reporting of results against KPI’s. Be visibly hands-on in the delivery of programs, maintaining direct involvement and listening to our wireless venture customers.
- Operational P&L responsibility: lead a scalable, effective, and highly leveraged operation to achieve budgeted funding and expense targets while delivering measurable mandated outcomes. Provide management and leadership to staff to ensure high quality, well organized and efficient systems, processes, and policies are in place.
- Financial / budget management: create an annual funding and expense budget for CEO and board approval. Manage funding development and expenses to achieve cash flow and bottom line objectives monthly, quarterly, and annually. Build and evolve plans towards a break-even target.
- Strategic planning: collaborate with the CEO and Wavefront leadership team to align strategies with the Wavefront mission and vision, and be responsible for developing the annual operational plan for Accelerator operations for board approval.
- Human Resources Management & Administration: ensure an effective, engaged, and lean organization, staffed with creative, resourceful individuals with diverse skills. Embrace and promote the Wavefront values: Open dialogue, Teamwork, Gutsy Creativity, We get stuff done!, Customer focus, Have fun. Manage and support the annual performance evaluation process.
With significant knowledge of the ICT, mobile and IoT sector, the ideal candidate for the role of VP National Accelerator Operations will bring experience in the following areas:
- Executive leadership – 12-15 years in relevant leadership roles, ideally having led or been part of, the driving leadership group in one or more Startup ventures combined with full scope P&L operating roles in sizeable national organizations
- Managing budgets, measuring KPI’s, financial and variance reporting
- Familiarity with academic sector and other ecosystem centres of influence for venture innovation and acceleration across Canada
- Familiarity with a not-for-profit or non-government organization (NGO) environment, including experience working with a board in a non-profit environment.
- Experience working with federal funding agencies such as IRAP, NSERC, SRED, CECR and provincial and municipal government funding sources.
He or she will have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Technology Management, or related discipline. An MBA would be an asset.
- Team player with strong people skills. Adaptable and able to roll up sleeves and pitch in to achieve common goals. High insight and EQ: self-aware and receptive to feedback, able to collaborate to build and maintain mutually beneficial, reciprocal long term relationships.
- Creative problem-solving skills: can combine disparate ideas, concepts, practices and think outside the box to produce novel and effective solutions that improve business effectiveness and efficiency.
- Negotiating skills: able to be forceful and direct while maintaining and building excellent long term business relationships. Can maneuver through complex situations and across multiple business functions and stakeholders.
- High business acumen: sound business judgment and demonstrated decision-making ability. Decisions over time produce good results as they draw upon formal education, business experience and wisdom.
- Operationally savvy: Demonstrated understanding and application of operational effectiveness, methodologies, and practices.
- Decisive judgment: Able to assess risks and benefits to guide organizational decision-making and planning. Able to extrapolate and make timely recommendations in the context of incomplete data or in situations where there are high levels of ambiguity.
- Integrity: Build trust and confidence through the application of sound ethical values.
- Interpersonal communication: Excellent listening skills, patience, and perseverance to ensure all aspects of an issue are reviewed and understood before drawing conclusions or making recommendations.
Key challenges for the new VP, National Accelerator
In the first 12 months in this role, the successful incumbent will have achieved the following:
- Understood the current programs that support the Wavefront mandate and how they are impacting Wavefront’s key goals and KPI’s in order to build on those foundations.
- In the first 90 days, created a plan to expand the depth and reach of the program portfolio to most effectively drive achievement of the KPI’s.
- Effectively managed year one of the expansion plan to create jobs and measurable economic impact. This includes ensuring programs are in place to deliver on current funding commitments to CECR, IRAP, BCIC and other new and existing funding partners.
- Credibly promoted Wavefront mandate with provincial, federal, and municipal government decision makers to secure new and renewed funding.
- Built collaborative relationships with Wavefront management, board, partners, and stakeholders nationally.
- This is a Vancouver-based role.
- A competitive compensation package and benefits.
- You must be a Canadian citizen or landed resident.
Wavefront’s Economic Impact
Wavefront is dedicated to supporting wireless companies in Canada and is making a significant impact on our economy in the process.
- Generated almost $420 million in GDP.
- Generated a return of $14.70 in economic benefits for every dollar of public funding received.
- Accelerated time to market for Canadian wireless businesses by 4-5 months.
- Has created more than 6700 cumulative jobs in Canada.
- Increased sales revenues by 27% and foreign sales for Canadian wireless businesses by 47%.
- Wavefront delivers the end-to-end know-how necessary for wireless businesses to confidently grow through:
- High-impact connections to the right people, partners and networks
- Dedicated wireless expertise
- Valuable technical and physical infrastructure
- Direct access to new and overseas markets.
For more information on the company please visit www.wavefront.ca