Corvus Energy produces purpose-engineered clean energy storage solutions for marine and port applications. Corvus is the worldwide market leader in lithium polymer battery systems with a market share of well over 50%. Leading with their Orca platform, they boast the largest installed base of Energy Storage Systems (ESS) completed in the maritime industry.
Due to rapid growth and market expansion, Corvus is seeking a Vice President of Engineering (VPE) to lead the organization into further commercialization of the Orca product. The VPE will be an integral part of the leadership team by establishing engineering strategies and guiding product and technology development to meet company objectives. Innovation will be key in product design, product optimization, and in growing and developing the engineering capabilities of the company.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Engineering is responsible for planning and directing the engineering resources for our client. The VPE oversees the Engineering Department’s workflow and projects, and establishes procedures for maintaining high standards of quality, reliability, and safety in product designs and applications. The Engineering Department consists of a multidisciplinary team of engineers, technicians, technologists, and interns; practicing electronics engineering, power engineering, mechanical engineering, software engineering, and test engineering.
• Provide engineering vision and leadership to the Engineering Department.
• Represent the Engineering Department to the executive and customers.
• Provide technical direction and oversight for all product design activities.
• Analyze resource needs to plan and assess the feasibility of new products or features.
• Ensure the optimal application of technology and engineering resources to meet product development and customer requirements.
• Develop and adhere to the Engineering Department’s annual budget.
• Achieve the Key Performance Indicators for the Engineering Department.
• Implement formal processes to support new product introduction, product strategy, and sustaining engineering.
• Represent the company as may be required at customer meetings, conferences, and trade shows, including public speaking engagements.
• Develop and maintain an IP strategy
Experience & Qualifications:
The successful candidate is a dedicated team player who is tolerant of risk and uncertainty, thrives in a highly-technical, collaborative environment and has significant experience leading multidisciplinary teams.
• MSc. in Engineering; Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical or Chemical,
• Industrial scale power storage experience, preferably within the marine industry
• 15+ years of leadership in leading, coaching, mentoring and developing multi-disciplinary engineering development teams located in Canada, USA and Europe,
• Proven experience in successfully delivering commercially engineered products,
• A track record in a variety of industrial products development and manufacturing environments, especially energy related products,
• Experience in writing and filing patents, and in strategically determining what intellectual property to foster,
• Cross-functional experience working with marketing, business development, finance and research to develop corporate goals as a member of the executive leadership team,
• Experience in management of engineering services, track record of accurately quoting jobs and managing clients,
• Understands Lean Manufacturing and Product Development concepts, has a strong continuous improvement mindset, and has implemented design libraries and best practices,
• Has improved time to market of new products, understands and uses cross functional teams to deliver products to market.
Leadership Style & Attributes
• Vision and leadership to anticipate the future requirements of the engineering team to meet the corporate goals and to proactively manage the team evolution to keep pace with the company.
• Strong analytical skills and technical competence to understand multi-disciplined complex products and develop a vision for the future,
• Able to reconcile immediate goals and targets with rigorous methodology and consistency needed to build solid systems,
• Flexible – able to quickly shift from strategic to hands-on work at a moment’s notice,
• Excellent ability to communicate complex technical information ideas both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences,
• Strong leadership, management, and organizational skills. Organizational and process design expertise – comfortable driving process improvement initiatives to ensure predictable results,
• Strong Integrity, interpersonal skills, and high EQ with a collaborative and respectful style which earns the respect of peers, subordinates and clients,
• Proactive, persuasive, communicative leader with the ability to articulate effectively at the Executive Team level as well as with multiple disciplines within the company,
The ideal candidate will have experience in a combination of both large and smaller entrepreneurial technology companies, and will possess 15+ years of leadership experience in leading, coaching, mentoring and developing commercial engineering teams.
Kari LaMotte email@example.com