The Head of Bioinformatics & Computational Biology will work closely with the Company’s Assay Development team in design, development and transfer of the Company’s cancer genomic assays to partners.
As scientific leader of the company’s Bioinformatics and Software Development team, the Head of Bioinformatics & Computational Biology will be responsible for the design and implementation of cloud-computing driven analytical approaches and workflows for the Company’s high dimensional genomic assays. This includes end-to-end raw data to clinical reporting software systems. The Company’s clinical genomics assays may include targeted sequencing tissue and blood-based circulating tumor DNA assays, fusion assays, capture-based assays, blood-based panel assays, whole genome assays and other market-driven clinical assays.
- Oversees bioinformatics and computational biology analytical strategy research and development utilizing established and innovative procedures in NGS based genomics.
- Works closely with the Assay Development team in the design and execution of experiments for clinical assay development.
- Maintains knowledge of published developments in the genomics field and proactively seeks out and incorporates leading-edge science, medical developments and technologies into Company assays.
- Applies expert knowledge to formal computational research and software development.
- Creates and manages project plans, timelines and budgets.
- Coordinates interdisciplinary resources in collaboration with Management, the Assay Development team and other Company personnel.
- Develops and delivers on research, assay development and technology transfer goals and objectives.
- Works closely with Management and other Company teams to translate market and customer requirements into commercial assays.
- Participates as an active member of various project teams and collaborates with internal and external team members to reach scientific and assay development goals.
- Presents scientific and assay development results in a variety of settings, both formal and informal, and both within and outside of the Company.
- Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports, documents, presentations and scientific papers.
- Contributes to the Company’s patent portfolio and the scientific literature.
- Engages and liaises with key opinion leaders in the genomics space.
- Assists in the identification and management of academic partners and/or contract research organizations to work with the Company.
- Assists in the technology transfer to and management of product partnerships.
- Plans and manages the Bioinformatics and Software Development budget.
- Fosters a spirit of cooperation, teamwork and motivation within the Bioinformatics and Software Development department.
- Trains and mentors junior bioinformaticians and software engineers and developers.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
- PhD in a relevant field (computer science, statistics, bioinformatics, computational biology).
- Strong publication record.
- Experience in cancer research.
- Deep experience in NGS-based genome analysis.
- Expert data analysis and interpretation skills.
- Proven leadership experience, including ability to set individual and group priorities and allocate resources.
- Team oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Superior analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, with a proven ability to effectively present to a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively in a multifunctional team environment, including with assay development scientists.
- Strong time-management skills and proven ability to multitask.
- Works well under aggressive timelines.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience working in an industrial or academic scientific computing environment.
- Experience implementing robust software solutions in cloud computing environments.
- Experience with NGS and molecular assay automation and software development.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to develop innovative solutions to problems.
- Experience in development and transition of genomic assays from R&D to the clinical and commercial laboratory setting and supporting effective and efficient commercial launch.
The ideal candidate for this Senior Manager, Bioinformatics & Computational Biology position will also possess the following competencies:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills, excellent judgment and decision-making abilities with a goal-oriented attitude.
- Experience in customer service or other people-oriented fields desired.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and contribute in a team environment.
- Desire to succeed.
For more information, please contact:
Tim Swanson firstname.lastname@example.org 604-639-9566
Sarah Applebaum email@example.com 604-639-9562