Position Description & Key Qualifications:
As the driving force behind the development of new products, the incumbent’s mandate is to ensure business success through the entire product lifecycle (product conception, development, roll-out, field deployment, market penetration and phase out).
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Product Manager, OSP will identify new products to be designed and built, specifically Outside Plant Enclosures, related accessories and parts. He/she is responsible to validate the product specification and sales outlook with sales, marketing, distributors and customers and support the Product Solution Development Process.
The Product Manager works in collaboration with the engineering team to coordinate the technical aspects of product development projects and to successfully establish new products, features and applications in the telecommunication market. In this role, the PM represents the vital and business relevant connection between sales, customers, the market in general, and engineering. Further, the PM explores new product opportunities in the market place and contributes to the business strategy of the company. A unique combination of technical and business skill set, joined with excellent communication skills and the ability to develop close relationships to internal and external customers are required to excel in this role.
- Determine customers’ needs and desires by specifying and executing the research needed to obtain market information.
- Recommend the nature and scope of present and future products by reviewing and validating product specifications and requirements; appraising new product ideas or product changes; evaluate feasibility, cost and maintenance requirements of design requests.
- Advocate new product ideas within the Product Solution Delivery (PSD) Process, take responsibility specifically for Phase 0 of the process and constructively contribute to all later Phases during the Product Delivery process. Maintain a high level of communication with all parties involved.
- Moderate the PSD Process meetings, provide minutes.
- Assess market competition, create reports comparing Primex’s products with competitors’ products.
- Assess customer network specifications and assist in procuring specified components and work towards value engineering part substitutions where possible to increase value.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Provide documentation, detailed instructions, drawings or specifications to illustrate how devices, parts, equipment or structures are to be fabricated, constructed, assembled, modified, maintained or used.
- Develop and coordinate aspects of production, of manufacturing methods, assembly, fabrication and operation of product designs.
- Investigate product failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations.
- Support Sales by providing technical information to develop product sales strategies.
- Create feedback and product market data by close collaboration with sales an attending customer and trade show visits on demand.
- Provide information for management by preparing product reports and analyses, answering questions and requests.
- Bring new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs, collaborate with Sales and customers to establish product specifications, determine market value and sales volumes of product proposals.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and trade shows; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks.
- Support Management in the maintenance and development of Engineering procedures.
- This role will require someone with extraordinary technical abilities. An academic background in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering would be highly relevant.
- Direct multi-year OSP experience in the telecommunications, fiber optics and cable television market space.
- Solid understanding of the telecommunications market and specifically the role of fiber optics in relation to FTTx market, MDE and Smart Home technologies.
- Direct experience with the last mile equipment, termination and technologies – Fiber and Copper.
- Thorough understanding of role and evolution of both active Ethernet and PON networking systems as well as working familiarity with RFoG systems and new triple play technology developments.
- The ability to research and anticipate technology trends is essential in addition to understanding competitors and their ‘roadmaps’.
- Strong problem-solving skills along with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Intellectual curiosity, creativity and a passion for technology would be advantageous.
- Project management skills demonstrated through a PMP designation or work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and develop plans and strategies to clearly communicate complex business issues and technological solutions.
- Ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams and various geographical locations.
- Familiarity with compliance engineering, UL, CSA, and/or Bellcore/Telecordia.
- Fluent communication skills in English both written and oral.
About the Company:
Established in 1971 and headquartered in Langley, British Columbia, Primex Manufacturing Ltd. (Primex) is a moulder of plastic injection products. From its roots as a small custom injection moulder and through the combination of Primex’s predecessor companies, Vanguard Plastics, Premo Plastics and VPL Enterprises Ltd., Primex has developed broad capabilities in the design, engineering and mould fabrication of several proprietary, patented in-house plastic products.