Our client is a premier medical device development group that works on device design projects for North American and international customers. Their project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
Their head office is in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia and, as a result of their business success and growth, they have now expanded to Toronto, ON. They are looking for a Mechanical Engineering Manager that thrives on inspiring its team to meet their common goal. The position is based in either Victoria or Toronto.
They offer a collegial, creative and casual workspace with flexible working conditions – their employees value their fun and collaborative environment.
The Mechanical Engineering Manager defines and maintains the vision for the Mechanical Engineering function. They are responsible for leading and growing the function towards that vision while ensuring that common goals are achieved. They inspire, coach and mentor team members, helping them develop their capabilities. At the same time, working collaboratively with project managers and cross-functional teams, they are responsible for ensuring all deliverables relating to Mechanical Development projects are met. They inspire greatness in the work of the functional team and the whole company and act as a role model who embodies their values.
- Hire, lead, develop, motivate and mentor an exceptionally talented and engaged group of mechanical engineers,
- Manage, direct and coordinate all mechanical function activities,
- Manage and lead design teams to develop new medical products and novel technologies throughout the product life cycle from initial concept through to detailed design.
- Take ownership of assigned development tasks: budget, project and plan for future resource requirements and work closely with project managers to ensure that appropriate resources are allocated to projects and that development tasks are completed on time and on budget
- Lead effective design reviews
- Develop new products and features using various tools and platforms
- Work collaboratively in cross-functional teams comprised of individuals from various disciplines
- Define, develop and report on meaningful metrics for the mechanical function, showing growth and improvement
- Own sections of Quality Management System related to the mechanical function: create, edit, train and guide compliance for documents
- Spearhead innovation and best practices for the team and products
- Identify potential process improvements and drive changes to successful adoption
- Report to the Director of Product Development
- A Bachelor’s or master’s degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent experience
- At least 3+ years of demonstrated experience managing, developing, motivating and mentoring mechanical engineering teams
- At least 3+ years of demonstrated experience managing highly integrated product development projects with a proven track record of delivering high quality releases
- Deep understanding of the full product development life cycle
- Strong organizational, leadership, decision-making, and relationship skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a regulated environment is required (ISO 13485, FDA, etc.)
- Experience working in a consulting environment is an asset
- Experience developing mechanical solutions for high-end medical devices is an asset
Note: Candidates with less than five (5) years managing experience may be considered for a team lead position provided they meet all other requirements, and provided they bring a minimum of three (3) years of industry experience.
Relocation support is available for qualified candidates that are interested in moving to Victoria, BC.
Contact: Kari LaMotte (firstname.lastname@example.org)