Our client is a premier medical device development group that works on device design projects for North American and international customers.
Their HQ is based in Victoria and they are expanding to Toronto – their project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
They offer a collegial, creative and casual working environment – their employees value the fun and collaborative environment.
We are looking for a customer-facing Project Manager that thrives on inspiring teams to meet their common goal. We have an experienced and capable team of engineers and designers to enable the success of ground-breaking medical device companies. You will lead cross-functional teams to successfully deliver technical projects on time and on budget. In this multi-faceted project management position, you will be the champion for our clients, you will actively pursue and capture new business development opportunities, and you will lead and inspire cross-functional teams of engineers to successfully deliver technical projects on time and on budget. You will own the relationship with clients throughout the development process to ensure successful outcomes are achieved, while applying your knowledge of sound engineering practices and regulatory requirements to navigate projects in the ISO environment.
- Lead design teams to develop new medical products and novel technologies throughout the product life cycle from initial concept through to detailed design.
- Initiate and steer effective brainstorming sessions that will spawn creative, open-minded, out-of-the-box thinking and creative business development ideas.
- Partner with Business Development to lead and/or support the creation of proposals and transfer of new activities into Engineering.
- Take full ownership of client/customer relationships, providing them with a single point of contact within the company.
- Respond nimbly to changing circumstances and new information by assessing, recommending and applying design and project tradeoffs (schedule, scope and budget) on a continuous basis
- Market and advocate the company’s capabilities and core competencies to potential and existing clients to help expand the reach of the business
- Establish strong relationships with clients, team members, and vendors to ensure that schedules are met and budgets are controlled
- Oversee the work of team members to ensure compliance with regulatory standards, company procedures, product requirements, and specifications.
- Ensure all required design and quality documentation is completed and all design processes are followed. Initiate and lead appropriate design reviews as required.
- Support vendor quotations, POs and lead times to monitor BOM targets and ensure cost-effective manufacturing processes are chosen during design.
- Creatively apply various project management approaches depending on the situation, be it lightweight frameworks that enable rapid iteration or robust deployments for established manufactured products
- Continue to support products through the manufacturing transfer and ongoing production, including creating and managing ECRs, ECO’s, and liaising with clients to resolve product issues.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Engineering degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least five (5) years’ experience managing similar projects (with budget, schedule and scope accountability) is required to be successful in this role.
- Experience in leading combined hardware and software designs is desired. This includes CAD, PCB/Schematic Layouts, Embedded System Development, Software Development, FEA Analysis & modeling, rapid prototyping and Manufacturing processes
- Previous experience as a Project Manager in a consulting environment (min. two to five [2-5] years managing external clients and projects) is desired and experience in a regulated industry, whether medical or not (e.g. aerospace or automotive) would be advantageous.
- Formal and demonstrated project management experience (PMP certification as an example); ISO13485 experience ideal.
- Supervisory experience is required
- Contract management experience is required.
- Resource planning and management experience (e.g. labor forecasting and management) is required
- Systems engineering experience is desirable.
- Some business development, sales and marketing experience is desirable.
Note: Candidates with less than five (5) industry experience may be considered for a junior position provided they meet all other requirements, and provided they bring a minimum of two (2) years of industry experience. This position will be based in Victoria, BC.
Relocation support is available for qualified candidates that are interested in moving to Victoria, BC.