Our client is a fast-growing, passionate company taking on climate change with their proprietary hardware/software sensing solution. The market leader in their space with their product in over 140,000 homes worldwide, they have a strong, existing foothold in the residential energy intelligence market and are continuing to innovate in this quickly evolving space.
Their transparent and collaborative working style forms a solid foundation for the team, and provides a model of integrity. The company walks the talk of work-life balance, and boasts a flexible work environment for its employees in their bright, spacious, Gastown location; complete with original brick walls, ping pong, and other Valley-style perks. Their team is engaged, committed to excellence, and has created a great work environment.
About the Role:
To take advantage of market opportunities related to data, a strategic decision has been made to bring in a senior software leader with expertise in data analytics. This person will operate as the Head of Software and will be tasked with accelerating innovation in this space.
The Director (Head) of Software will be a:
- Visionary and thought leader in software and data analytics, with a keen understanding of technologies; staying current and anticipating the future, including market trends and competition,
- Collaborative team player with excellent emotional intelligence, capable of mentoring and able to recognize, welcome and inspire team member contributions,
- Technically strong innovator with an ability to envision and execute creative solutions.
The Director of Software will lead the software team and direct the company’s software product development and innovation efforts. He or she will be expected to create an environment that fosters innovation while implementing new processes and approaches to improve productivity, and drive towards commercialization and ROI. The successful candidate is a dedicated team player who is tolerant of risk and ambiguity, thrives in a highly-technical, collaborative environment and has significant experience leading and inspiring senior development teams.
The Director of Software will:
- Innovate new solutions to optimize the use of data generated,
- Participate in the formulation of company and departmental objectives,
- Work with the leadership team to drive product adoption, improve the customer experience, and support the continued growth of the company,
- Introduce appropriate processes to build a solid foundation for rapid growth,
- Guide design of system architecture, review code, and have the ability/willingness to write code themselves, if needed,
- Ensure robustness and accuracy of software in delivering product functionality across a broad range of software from cloud systems to embedded applications, machine learning algorithms, and database infrastructure,
- Foster a creative technical environment to ensure achievement of the technical vision,
- Identify skills gaps and continue to recruit talent to fill those gaps,
- Create the company’s technological innovation and development strategy to ensure its ongoing leadership position in their software domain, while simultaneously overseeing the translation of research discoveries into highly usable, marketable products,
- Communicate to all relevant internal and external stakeholders the company’s technical vision, expertise, and precision of execution.
Experience & Qualifications:
- BSc/BEng in electrical engineering, computer science or similar,
- 10+ years of software development experience,
- Executive experience building and leading R&D, engineering, and software development teams through the growth phase of a company,
- New Product Innovation and Commercial Introduction expertise; customer-centric product design/development with proven success in successfully commercializing a software product,
- Experience working with diverse groups including data analytics/scientists and embedded software teams,
- Experience integrating solutions with other proprietary software/hardware systems,
- Data analytics software expertise as well as strong background in various current technologies, including higher level cloud and software systems, large data processing, real time solutions and machine learning,
- Experience managing a robust data ingress pipeline,
- Experience in designing, building, maintaining and supporting a live system with active users.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a progressive leadership team who are building meaningful products that change the way energy is stored and shared worldwide.