SensorUp is an IoT company that empowers developers to build applications to connect with any digital device in the world. SensorUp led the development of the Open Geospatial Consortium SensorThings API standard specification, an open and unified geospatial framework to interconnect IoT sensing devices, data, and applications over the Web.
SensorUp provides Sensor Data, Analytics, and Mapping API for every application. SensorUp’s IoT Application Enablement Platform (AEP) allows a wide range of IoT device developers, software developers, and system integrators the ability to launch IoT products quickly and efficiently. Solutions currently address: Emergency and Disaster Management; and, International Arctic, Environmental and Groundwater Monitoring. To date, clients have been primarily in the public sector. The company was founded in 2011 and its head office is in Calgary, AB.
The organization has recently received external funding and is now on an aggressive growth path. SensorUp is looking to proactively grow their presence and sales in the private sector, specifically in the industrial, logistics, energy, and agricultural sectors. To accomplish this growth, they are looking to hire an experienced, successful Director, Business Development.
The Director, Business Development will:
- identify high-value private sector organizations who can benefit from SensorUp’s IoT platform and tools
- work in collaboration with the Head of Products to determine the right mix and direction of products to address the market’s needs
- sign high-value organizations to paid PoC’s / Pilot projects that demonstrate the strength and power of the SensorUp product line and turn the PoC’s and Pilots into recurring revenue throughout the organization.
This role reports to the CEO.
The Director, Business Development will be a key component of the growth of SensorUp moving forward.
- Build and own your sales pipeline, forecast and results
- Manage, long, complex sales cycles
- Introduce effective and efficient sales methods and processes to the organization
- Work closely with the CEO and Head of Products to develop new market strategies, target sectors, and prospects
- Provide feedback on market intelligence, competitors, products, trends, etc. to the management team
The successful candidate will, ideally, possess a minimum of 10+ years of B2B enterprise sales experience with a growth software company. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in a disruptive technology company that is selling its solution world-wide against much larger global software companies. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work with the CEO to develop a direct sales strategy and then take a hands-on approach to implement it.
- Experience selling enterprise software
- Previous experience as a new business sales hunter
- Experience selling technical solutions
- Experience with IoT solutions is a definite asset
- Comfortable working with a team of very smart, highly technical individuals
- A track record of meeting or exceeding quotas coupled with previous experience carrying $2M+ annual quotas
- Experience selling solutions that have a significant services portion to the deal
- Experience in an entrepreneurial environment and ability to grow with the company. The ideal candidate will be a hands-on sales executive with the ability to build and manage a direct sales team.
- Experience selling into industrial markets: industrial, logistics, energy, and agricultural sectors
- Extensive US market experience, and ideally international experience
- Big company experience is an asset, but candidates must have experience with a high growth software company (i.e. startup)
The selected candidate selected will have outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to represent the company in all customer and market situations. S/He will exhibit natural credibility and be a proven and effective leader. The person must embrace the concept of team play both within the sales department and across other functional areas of the company. Finally, the candidate selected must have the highest degree of personal integrity and professional ethics.
Compensation will be market-based relative to the size of the company. Compensation will comprise of base salary, cash incentive, and a stock option package.
This role can be based in Calgary, AB or Vancouver, BC