Our client, Carbon Engineering (CE), is an innovative clean energy company leading the commercialization of groundbreaking technology that captures CO₂ directly from the atmosphere, and converts it into clean, affordable fuels and chemicals. Founded in 2009, CE has been removing CO₂ from the atmosphere since 2015.
Carbon Engineering’s ground-breaking technology innovations have been covered in National Geographic, The New York Times, Fortune, Wired, and more. The company is backed by leading Venture investors including Bill Gates, and has led projects funded by Sustainable Development Technologies Canada (SDTC), British Columbia Innovative Clean Energy Fund (BC ICE), Climate Change and Emissions Management Corporation (CCEMC), Industrial Research Assistantship Program, and the US Department of Energy (DOE).
About the Role:
Carbon Engineering is looking to add an engineer/scientist to their management team who understands large industrial process development. Experience working in the chemical, electrochemical, or petrochemical process industry would be ideal. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, you will be spearheading development of game-changing processes and equipment to lower cost and improve performance of Direct Air Capture and CO2 utilization technologies. You will be expected to build a team that fosters innovation while implementing new processes and approaches to improve productivity. This is an excellent role for an individual on the track to an executive role.
This is an opportunity to join a team focused on integrating atmospheric CO2 into synthetic liquid fuels production and a great match for an individual who wants to be part of an innovative culture where your contributions are noticed.
- Working closely with the CTO, help formulate Carbon Engineering’s technological and development strategy.
- Translate research discoveries into improved product performance and reduced CapEx and OpEx.
- Create an environment that fosters innovation, while implementing new processes and approaches to improve productivity.
- Working with the CTO, set team objectives and build an innovative advanced development team that collaborates well with engineering, identifying skill gaps and taking a leadership role in recruiting the necessary talent.
- Communicating Carbon Engineering’s technological vision, expertise and execution to internal and external stakeholders.
Experience & Qualifications:
Education: PhD or MSc in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or Chemistry, with evidence of academic excellence.
- Substantial research experience
- Minimum 7 years of relevant process development and characterization experience
- Experience in new product development cycles, having demonstrated the ability to bring innovations from concept to reality.
- Proven ability to conceptualize and develop new chemical processes and equipment, while also collaborating with technical teams to identify development opportunities.
- Documented application of benchtop/pilot scale equipment/processes for proof-of-concept characterization.
- Delivered and analyzed designed experiments that screen critical process variables and solve complex problems.
- Demonstrated transfer of new technologies from development to production.
- Experience preparing specifications for new equipment and processes.
- Concrete CapEx and OpEx cost estimation for new processes and equipment.
- Strong understanding of chemistry and chemical engineering concepts including mass transfer, heat transfer, thermodynamics, and kinetics.
In addition to technical skills, you also need to have these attributes to be the right fit:
- Proven leadership of process and equipment development teams.
- Collaborative working style, values team performance above individual recognition
- Leadership experience within a rapidly growing company.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently towards multiple deadlines with minimum supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Hands-on experience and comfort working in a development environment.
- Thrive on doing things that have not been done before (explorer mindset).
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- This position is based in the outdoor recreation hub of Squamish, BC, so if not already qualified to work in Canada you must be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit.
Sarah Applebaum, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Brooks, email@example.com